what is so great about asparagus
Did you know Asparagus belongs to the Lilly family? One of my favorite veggies is power-packed full of nutritional value, and super easy to cook!
Asparagus belongs to the lily family of plants and a popular vegetable known for its rich, bright colors and power-packed nutritional value. Around the world, chefs tend to add Asparagus to their recipes for its rich taste and several health benefits that it has to offer to the consumers. This low-calorie vegetable offers everything from antioxidants to vitamins and minerals that your body needs to function properly.
Health benefits of asparagus
According to research, Asparagus is rich in fiber, which is essential for the working of your digestive tract. It helps your system absorb certain compounds and aids in flushing out the toxins from your body. Furthermore, it is packed with several vitamins, including A, E, C, and K, all of which help enhance vision, regulate blood sugar level and blood pressure levels. It is also known to be quite helpful when it comes to promoting a healthy pregnancy.
Ways to add asparagus to your diet
Adding Asparagus to your diet shouldn’t be much of a problem as the vegetable is highly versatile, so you can use it in various ways to benefit from the health benefits. Either serve it as cooked, raw, hot, or cold – the choice is yours. You can serve it as a side dish, chop and mix it in your salads, or use it as a garnish for your pasta, soups, and casseroles.
But according to research, the best way to consume it is in it’s cooked from. Prepare some by mixing it with chicken broth in water and adding a bit of seasoning for the taste. You can add anything that you enjoy to the recipe based on your taste. You can also add a bit of it to your other recipes for the health benefits and the chopped form’s additional taste.
How I prepare these delicious green stalks for my family
Asparagus is thrown into my weekly dinner rotation for a few reasons. Besides asparagus’ being easy to prep and cook, it’s a great veggie when you have a keto lifestyle!
Here’s a quick recipe for a weeknight side dish.
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus
- Rinse and dry well with a clean towel
- Cut the ends off and place the stalks in a corning ware dish
- I spray the dish down with pam or EVOO oil
- I use a good quality EVOO and drizzle onto stalks
- I am a salt and pepper fan and probably use too much, but a nice sprinkling of salt and pepper
- Fresh garlic smash and minced about 2 cloves
- Place in oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes
- The goal is to cook it enough, so it’s not too soft and too charred.
- Pull them out when you can stick a fork into the thick part of the stalk easily.
- I like to add some fresh parmesan at the end, maybe 1 tbsp. amount
- Serve up as a side and enjoy!